Parasite Control

The Flea: Eat, mate, repeat.

Scratching A Flea Bite Barely Scratches the Surface.

That bite is solid confirmation that an invisible army of eggs and larvae has infested your home. That bite means these things are living in your bed, carpet and furniture. And they're looking to feed on your pet and transmit harmful diseases. Read about the ins and outs of the flea, and learn how to protect your pet and home from this prolific parasite.

Flea Life Cycle

  • Adult flea finds a host to latch onto.
  • Flea takes a blood meal from its new host, then quickly mates.
  • Female flea lays eggs, up to 50 per day.
  • Eggs hatch young flea larvae; eggs and larvae hide in carpet fivers, floorboards, furniture, etc.
  • Larvae form cocoons called pupa, which can lie dormant for up to a year.
  • Mature flea emerges from its pupa when it senses a new host, and the cycle continues.
Infestation Pyramid Of Flea

A Flea Bite is Just the Tip of the Iceberg

If you find just one flea's handiwork, you can be sure its extended family is not far behind. The vast majority of a flea infestation is made up of eggs and larvae—all living (and multiplying) inside your home.

From the Outside

A flea's mouthparts pierce the host's tissue with a sawing motion, forming a needle-like drinking tube for feeding. The saliva the flea injects into the host while feeding is what causes allergic reactions.

From the Inside

A pet can accidentally swallow a tapeworm-infected flea while grooming. Using its sharp teeth, the tapeworm attaches itself to the intestinal wall to feed, causing discomfort, intestinal damage and chronic weight loss.

Allergic Reactions

  • Raised itchy bumps
  • Frequent scratching, chewing, licking and/or excessive grooming
  • Flea bite dermatitis (commonly called "hot spots")
  • Hair loss, bald patches
  • In extreme cases, swelling or blistering

NOTE: Many dogs continue to itch long after the fleas are gone


The result of significant blood-loss caused by numerous feeding fleas, mostly seen in very young, elderly or debilitated pets.

  • Lethargy
  • Weight Loss
  • Pale Gums
  • Breathlessness

Tapeworm Infection

  • Visible tapeworm segments found in pet's stool and/or bedding
  • Diarrhea
  • Intestinal impaction
  • Weight loss
  • Nutritional diseases

When you discover fleas on your pet, you discover only 5% of the infestation. The other 95% is hiding throughout your home in the form of eggs, larvae and pupas. So effective treatment needs to happen in two parts:

Pet Treatment

Pet Treatment

  1. Remove existing fleas with a flea comb.
  2. Bathe pet with a topical flea shampoo.
  3. Treat allergic reactions with antibiotics, steroids and/or antihistamines as needed.
  4. Administer de-worming medication to treat tapeworm infections.

Home Treatment

Home Treatment

  1. Vacuum like you've never vacuumed before.
    • Flea eggs are resistant to many flea control products, and pupa cocoons are impervious to insecticides... but they can't escape a vacuum.
    • A single vacuum pass can remove up to 50% of the eggs, larvae and pupae hiding in your home.
    • Pay special attention to dark crevices like baseboards, cracks in the floorboards, under furniture, bedding, cushions, pillows and carpet fibers.
  2. Spray an indoor insecticide containing IGR (Insect Growth Regulator).
    • Spray after vacuuming, never before.
    • Wait at least one week before you vacuum again.
  3. Wash your pet's bedding, blankets, anything they nap or sleep on frequently.
  4. Treat yard with an insecticide specifically made for outdoor flea control.

Did You Know?

  • A flea's optimum living conditions: 65-80F, 75-80% humidity.
  • Adult fleas can go a couple of months without a meal.
  • Fleas have poor eyesight. They sense nearby hosts through vibrations, sound, head, and carbon dioxide.
  • Fleas move rapidly and can jump several inches in height and over a foot in length.
  • Fleas are drawn to damp environments and standing water, but drown easily.


Ongoing, year-round prevention is your best weapon against fleas. Not to mention a much easier, simpler, and more affordable alternative to treating infection and infestation.

Year round prevention

Protect Your Pet

Giving your pet monthly flea preventives is an absolute must.

  • Monthly Topical Application
  • Monthly Tablets & Chewables
Monthly flea preventive

Protect Your Home

In addition to your pet's monthly flea preventive, a few simple steps at home can help keep fleas at bay:

  • Vacuum at least once a week and every day during peak flea season (mid to late summer).
  • Wash your pet's bedding 1–2 times per week.
  • Keep your lawn trimmed.
  • Check your pet for fleas every time they come in from outside.

Bottom Line

Don't wait to protect your pet from fleas.
Simple prevention now avoids difficult treatments later.

Back to Parasites